On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 15:02:14 -0400, Chris Hoelscher
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>when I was a freshman at (The) Ohio State University waaaay back
>in 1975, ...

You're making me feel old.  (Ok, ok.  I already felt old.)

>...I took a PL/I class - we were told then that this was *such* an all
>encompassing and easy-to-learn language that COBOL and
>FORTRAN would be non-existant as a commercial programming
>language within 5 years ....
>
>well, they were half right - haven;t seen many Fortran shops
recently ...

They were obviously wrong about COBOL and probably wrong about
FORTRAN (although I have no idea what goes on in scientific and
engineering shops where it might be used).   But I think they got the
"easy to learn" part right.

When I was a senior at University of Washington (Seattle) in 1968 I
worked part time as an operator at the IBM datacenter.  I found an
old draft copy of an early PLI/F  Reference manual and taught myself
PL/I.  I was never really proficient, and never tried esoterica like its
subtask (synchronous processing) support, but was able to write
some pretty useful little tools.

I lost access to a PL/I compiler in 1986, but shortly thereafter got
access to REXX.  Near as I can tell, the easy parts of PL/I were
lifted from PL/I and plopped down n REXX.  If you know REXX you
pretty much know simple PL/I.  (Just don't forget the semicolon that
is optional in REXX.  And the PROCEDURE statement.)

Pat O'Keefe