Timothy Sipples wrote:
"Encrypt everything," basically. That's anything "sensitive" flowing over a
network wire (even inside your data center), anything on tape, and
(usually) anything on disk.

Excuse me, what company encrypts "anything on disk" ???
IMHO "encrypt everything" is kind of euphemism (fiction if you want).
It is simply impossible.
It is also too expensive and not needed, but this is another story.

Companies are dealing with compliance by turning encryption on (and beefing
up authorization and authentication). This tends to be comparatively easy
on the mainframe, and there's been a lot of discussion here about various
aspects (e.g. tape encryption). It's not free, but it's not bad either, and
the cost tends to be vastly dwarfed by the losses in the alternative. (See:
CardSystems.)

Sounds like FUD. "Do you remember CardSystems ? Buy my new shining encryption solution". For example tape encryption seems to be the same on open systems (assuming usage of IBM TS1120 or STK T10000).

BTW: I would say *almost* every data on medium or in the wire *outside* secured company premises should be encrypted. That means remote links (except DWDM in majority of cases), tapes, CDs, etc. Encryption of network links can be done at protocol level (SSH instead of telnet) or "at router level" (all the traffic is encrypted). Usually there is no reason to use encrypted protocol when whole link is already encrypted.
Last but not least: each case require thorough analysis.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2007 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA (w caoci
opacony) wynosi 118.064.140 z. W zwizku z realizacj warunkowego
podwyszenia kapitau zakadowego, na podstawie uchwa XVI WZ z dnia 21.05.2003
r., kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA moe ulec podwyszeniu do kwoty 118.760.528
z. Akcje w podwyszonym kapitale zakadowym bd w caoci opacone.