Ron and John

I believe the story with etc/services is that it is used only as a last resort when there has been no other customization which supplies the port number that the server - or I guess a client - should use. Since you are specifying port number 23 somewhere - I think, I haven't followed every last comma of the discussion - there will be no reference to etc/services - if my belief is true.

Chris Mason

----- Original Message ----- From: "McKown, John" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 11:01 PM
Subject: Re: OMVS

-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Ron Wells
Sent: Friday, August 03, 2007 3:57 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU

john..

the BPXparm has BPXROOT as superuser ...

does the etc/services have to be updated to point to telnet
at a port??
right now it is 23...but the TN3270 is using that---per
TCPparms for TCPIP

You can do that if you want, but it should not be necessary. At least, I
did not bother. I just comment'ed out the line previously mentioned. If
you don't then you will have a conflict because the TCPIP stack will be
listening on port 23 and the INETD daemon will try to listen on port 23
as well. This is "not allowed" (OK, there are ways to do it, but it is
outside my knowledge).

You might want to change the OMVSKERN to BPXROOT in all the
/etc/inetd.conf lines.

--
John McKown