I am not sure how it would work with same IP address to both z/OS stack and USS
TCP/IP stack. I have defined the same way here, except I have two VIPA
addresses.
My primary VIPA is TCP/IP on z/OS host and secondary vipa address is bind to
OMVS services. When you go to a line mode telnet and key in the seondary VIPA,
it takes
you straight into USS and you get a standard unix C Shell or Bourne Shell (if
installed and configured). That would allow you to share the ports not IP
address.

Natarajan

>>> Mark Zelden <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> 8/3/2007 1:45 PM >>>
On Fri, 3 Aug 2007 10:47:56 -0700, Edward Jaffe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>For services we've configured more recently, we share the *same* port
>number between the native z/OS server and the z/OS UNIX server by using
>VIPA. For example, here's our TCPIP port definition for REXECD/RSHD:
>
>512 TCP OMVS BIND 192.168.1.129 ; z/OS Unix REXECD
>514 TCP OMVS BIND 192.168.1.129 ; z/OS Unix RSHD
>512 TCP RXSERVE             ; Remote Execution Server
>514 TCP RXSERVE             ; Remote Execution Server
>
>192.168.1.129 is the VIPA address. This same port sharing technique
>ought to work for any server, including telnet.

So if I opened a dos window on my win-doze system and wanted to use
telnet to get into z/OS UNIX (or used a telnet client), how would it know
where to go to?

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

NOTICE OF CONFIDENTIALITY
The information contained in this communication, including but not limited to
any accompanying document(s) and/or attachment(s), is privileged and
confidential and is intended solely for the above-named individual(s). If you
are not the intended recipient, please be advised that any distribution,
copying, disclosure, and/or use of the information contained herein is strictly
prohibited.  If you received this communication in error, please destroy all
copies of the communication, whether in electronic or hard copy format, and
immediately contact the Information Security Office at EDFUND at (916) 526-8961
or [EMAIL PROTECTED]  Thank you.