Great, thanks for the hint.  Problem solved.  I was looking in the wrong
bookshelf.

| A linear data set is processed as an entry-sequenced data set, with
| certain restrictions. Because a linear data set does not contain
control
| information (CIDFs and RDFs), it cannot be accessed as if it contained
| individual records. You can access a linear data set using these
| techniques:

    * | VSAM

    * | DIV, if the control interval size is 4096 bytes.

    * | Window services, if the control interval size is 4096 bytes.

I assume the 4th method is to go directly to the media manager layer.  I
assume from what you said about cost that it is a set of API's or
something that must be purchased separately. I didn't find much about it
through Google.

Thanks, Binyamin, for helping me clear that up.