-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of McKown, John
Sent: Friday, August 24, 2007 10:27 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Using IPCS (full screen) in a UNIX shell?

<SNIP>

While this is going on, I cannot use my TSO session for anything else.
And I cannot have two TSO sessions going simultaneously. Even if I could
have two TSO sessions with the same RACF id, I couldn't have two ISPF
sessions. So, it would be really useful to me to be able to do all my
IPCS work using a UNIX shell. I can have multiple UNIX shells active
concurrently. Oh, I cannot have a second RACF id because that violates
company policy.

<SNIP>

I once worked in a place that had a similar policy. I had made friends
with the VP of our region and explained to him why I needed 2 3270 tubes
(a mod5 real, and a mod4). Ok, the MOD4 was done using a PC, but I was
given a real 3278-5.

He decided to get me the mod5 temporarily. Without me knowing it, he
paid very close attention to how many problems got resolved in the first
week I had this configuration. And then the MOD5 paid for itself when I
was able to demonstrate that the 3270 emulation software was causing
certain problems (another story for another day).

Long & short: Corporate policy got changed. I had gotten done 4 times
the work in one week than I had been doing. The increase in productivity
over the cost of an extra TSO address space was well worth it. And that
was whether or not I was using both sessions on the PC or one on the
real MOD5.

Today, where I work (different employer), I have 3 TSO sessions running
at all times, only I use a custom screen size (43x132) for all sessions.
This allows me to run IPCS in split screen mode (both in IPCS) on one
TSO ID, look at the listing and/or SDSF with an ID, Data and/or Source
edit with the third. And if I ask I can get more IDs.

But I can't live as a sysprog or a developer without at least two IDs
and that has been the case since the late '80s. And when running VM, I
usually have 2-4 logins as well.

I mention all this to help you with justification.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

Opinions expressed are those of the poster.