Paul Gilmartin wrote:
On Tue, 4 Sep 2007 17:19:27 -0400, Art Celestini wrote:

I don't know about any clock simulators, Ed, but I went and found the code
that was involved and it was the CONVTOD macro that accepted a maximum date
of September 17, 2042.  Ed Jaffe pointed out that the hardware does not yet
support higher dates, but I might argue that the software (CONVTOD) still
could, at least when using the STCKE/ETOD format.

Could.  But how much foresight did systems show in anticipating Y2K?
Would you expect preparation for Y2.042K 35 years in advance?  And
do we know how the hardware will employ the higher bits in the future?

Ummm. For about the last decade, POP has stated the following:

At some time in the future, new models  will  use  a  carry  from  bit
position  0  of  the  TOD  clock  to increment an additional eight-bit
binary counter.  STORE CLOCK EXTENDED will store the contents of  this
counter in byte position 0 of its storage operand.  A variation of SET
CLOCK  will  set the counter, as well as the TOD clock.  Variations of
SET CLOCK COMPARATOR and STORE  CLOCK  COMPARATOR  will  manipulate  a
comparable  byte  at  the left of the clock comparator.  These actions
will allow the TOD clock  to  continue  to  measure  time  within  the
standard epoch after the current 143-year limit caused by a carry from
bit position 0 has been exceeded, and they will allow continued use of
the clock comparator.  It may be desired to have programs that process
16-byte  STORE  CLOCK EXTENDED operands take these future developments
into account.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc