On 5 Oct 2007 08:41:37 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Edward Jaffe)
wrote:

>IMHO, we should either a) make all time-telling devices adjust
>themselves automatically -- with some way to keep up with the local
>policy changes that will inevitably occur from time-to-time -- like
>mainframes do when synchronized with an ETR (notice the on-topic
>reference!) -- or b) just *permanently * set the time half-way between
>Standard and Daylight Time and call it even!

China has one time zone.   I wish all computers, especially in the
networked world, used Zulu.   All time-date stamps are Zulu, and
end-user programs adjust the display if desired.

I suppose the first step now would be to create it in HTML specs.
Eventually it would expand into CoBOL reports and such with a function
that asks for local time.   We don't change our computer's clock, only
change the offset.

Cell phones and some radios adjust their time automatically.   I'd
like a car radio with a "set time" button that set the time to match
whatever station it is tuned to.

I listened to a Mac podcast where he mentioned flying into Phoenix,
checking the time and thinking he missed his plane.

My son-in-law got an Outlook appointment to meet with his bosses in
Seattle, and Outlook translated it to Rocky-Mountain time.   That
would have been nice for a phone interview, but he flew in - and was
an hour off.