On Oct 7, 2007, at 8:46 AM, George Dranes wrote:

I have decided to dump the initial live SMF to dasd rather than tape. So only 2 tape mounts would be required in this second step. We do have our job scheduler monitoring these dump jobs so if there is a failure we are paged and as I said before we only dump once a day, easy for the operator to keep an eye on it. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I keep multiple GDSs of the daily (along with HSM backups now) and weekly files so I could easily rebuild due to an error. We also keep monthly tapes which I will also have to convert from IEBGENER. I do keep a backup copy of the monthlies. Does this sound a little
cleaner?

George,

Sorry I had a longer reply set up but my poor system crashed. I will shorted my reply to this put a volcount into the output of your run.

There is dumpsmfxy program that (was?) supplied by IBM that makes life a little easier (loook on the CBTTAPE.ORG for it in case IBM has dropped it.

As other has said it depends on the importance of your SMF data, but remember this if you need it next year to prove you need a faster processor and you don't have it tough luck. Its a reasonable item to keep safe for at least a year (or maybe longer).

Ed