Peter,

My understanding for what Jim said is a little different.

Actually Jim wrote something about DREF three years ago and I happened to
find it in the archive:

There are some important differences between *DREF* and
fixed storage even when there is no expanded storage.

1.  *DREF* storage does not get backed until it is
  referenced (other than the first page of the Getmain request).

2.  The real storage address backing a *DREF* page can be changed
  at the whim of RSM.  The real address backing a fixed page can
  only be changed by swap processing (and thus cannot change while
  you are non-swappable, or holding serialialization which prevents
  you from being swapped (like your local lock or by being disabled).

So my understanding is:

After your first reference to a DREF page, the frame *can be copied to ESTOR
if you have that stuff.  Even if we don't have ESTOR, something still can be
done by RSM for DREF frame which is impossible for FIXED frame.

That is, RSM can directly copy the DREF frame to another frame.  So the real
address for a DREF page can change even without ESTOR and swapping out.

--
Best Regards,
Johnny Luo