In a message dated 10/22/2007 5:09:38 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>Operators (especially console operators) are extremely competent and if
they screw up, IMO, they need to be fired.
>That's just  ridiculous.

I have seen operators who knew much more about what certain messages meant
than I, the resident guru, did.  I have seen midnight shift operators  retire
to the underground parking structure to smoke marijuana.  I worked  at a DASD
vendor shop with NO operators, 110 LPARs, extremely bright and  competent guru
developers who had unlimited hands-on access to consoles,  and anyone who
deleted a non-deletable I/O error message before the  microcoders could look at
it
would be fired.  Different environments have  different requirements.  What
should happen to a computer operator in the  US Marine Corps whose typo causes
an infantry platoon to be destroyed by  friendly fire or a human error
resulting in a $1 loss?  One size does  not fit all.  Let the punishment fit
the
crime.

Bill  Fairchild
Plainfield, IL