1. Everyone can make a mistake, including those who claim otherwise.

2. Firing someone for an error is not good solution, at least as a rule. Education is better than terror. <g>
IMHO it is much better to avoid mistakes. How to do it:
2.1 Education. Skilled operator *understands* command, syntax, which reduces risk of some mistakes. Not applicable to Hal's example. 2.2 Procedures. Simply *avoid* risky commands. Do you want o vary some devices offline ? Why ? Can it be *scripted* ? Maybe this is well known, fixed range of devices.

My operators do make mistakes. However they have never blew up any system. Never. I didn't give them an opportunity (chance) to do it. Everytime I hear about operator who blew up something, he did it while performing dangerous things. In Poland we say "ape with razor" or "you shouldn't give gun to a madman". If the action is dangerous, then you shouldn't rely on less educated staff.

My $0.02 (after 40% taxes and 23% social sec).
--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

Hal Merritt wrote:
Personally, I'd view this as a management issue, not a technical issue.
The root problem in my opinion was the need for an operator to issue the
command in the first place. When you require human intervention, errors
are to be expected and therefore tolerated.
There are a number of such commands where a single keystroke error can
and will bring you down. For example, try the command "$P PRINTER1", but
hit enter rather than the space bar. (That is recoverable, but it is
unlikely anyone will discover that until after the IPL.)

So, yes, reassign the operators (all of them) and don't replace them.
My $0.02 (before taxes)