I can think of nothing that can be done in a single image that cannot be
done in a basic (or parallel) sysplex. Some things are more complicated,
some things are easier. IIRC, 3-5% utilization is the ROT for parallel
sysplex overhead (maybe for basic, but I am not sure).

Parallel sysplex = stand-alone CF = $$$$$ (is most likely not going to
happen for you (based on previous posts)

Basic sysplex #1 = CF engine = $$$$ (is most likely not going to happen
for you)

Basic sysplex #2 = CTC communication With 2 LPARS, not too difficult, -
exponential increase in complexity  as lpars are added (2**N)

Inter-lpar communications/control are the big issue here. GRS/MIM,
VTAM/APPN/EE, share *EVERYTHING*, naming conventions.

If you are WLM Goal mode, you are (at least) a monoplex.

<snip>
I know that is vague. What has happened is that somebody with political
clout is strongly pushing the idea that having two separate z/OS images
on a single CEC (separate LPARs of course) would be "better" than having
a single z/OS system. They have not defined "better". We have not
decided on how to implement this. I know of three possibilities, in my
order of desirability: (1) Parallel Sysplex; (2) basic sysplex; (3)
separate monoplexes.

Is there anything that documents, in a single place, what CANNOT be done
in the various environments? As an example, a JES2 MAS requires at least
a basic sysplex. If we go to separate monoplexes, then the JES2s could
only communicate via NJE. Is there ANYTHING that I can do in a single
image that I cannot do in a parallel sysplex (other than share memory,
VTAM LU names, and IP addresses)?
</snip>