Hi,

I think this might explain different perceptions of what is possible.

Case 1
HMIGRATE attempt for SMS managed dataset defined to APF by using the SMS
keyword

MIGRATE REQUEST 00019980 SENT TO DFSMSHSM
ARC1001I U06T03.LOAD.TEST.APFMIG MIGRATE FAILED, RC=0099, REAS=0014
ARC1299I UNSUPPORTED DATA SET FOR MIGRATION

Case 2
HMIGRATE attempt for SMS managed APF dataset defined to APF incorrectly
using an explicit DASD volser.

MIGRATE REQUEST 00019995 SENT TO DFSMSHSM
ARC1000I U06T03.LOAD.TEST.APFMIG MIGRATE PROCESSING ENDED
***

Now the second case of not using SMS but a volser works as far as APF is
concerned but DFSMShsm does not recognize it and WILL migrate it.

This wrinkle had not occurred to me until today reading seemingly
contradictory statements of fact.

The CSV_APF_EXISTS will flag the second case but it is ignored by
RACF_SENSITIVE_RESOURCES.

CHECK(IBMCSV,CSV_APF_EXISTS)
START TIME: 10/23/2007 20:03:57.740282
CHECK DATE: 20050720  CHECK SEVERITY: LOW

A problem was found with each APF list entry displayed.

VOLUME DSNAME                                       ERROR

G10078 U06T03.LOAD.TEST.APFMIG                      DS is SMS-managed

DS is SMS-managed
   The data set is SMS-managed, but the APF list entry specified a
   volume.

   If the APF list entry represents a SMS-managed data set but has
   specified the volume parameter, the data set would not be
   authorized if it were moved to a different volume.  In order for
   DFSMShsm to verify APF-authorization properly, the APF list
   entry must indicate that the data set is SMS-managed.

I think you could make a good case for DFSMShsm not functioning
correctly. It should refuse to migrate both since using SMS is
recommended by not required by APF.

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                System z Performance and Availability Management
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                (office)  301.986.3574

"Think big, act bold, start simple, grow fast..."