From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Paul
Schuster
Sent: 25 October 2007 18:35
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: EDTINFO DEVSTAT ?

I use EDTINFO to obtain only the device #'s that belong to a particular unit
(like SYSDA or SYSALLDA or DISK100 or whatever).  UCBSCAN does not have that
granularity--it gets all of the UCB's for DASD, which could contain many I am
not interested in.

Thank you.

Paul

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 13:19:23 -0400, Rob Scott <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Paul,
>
>Is there any reason why you are avoiding UCBSCAN and then a test for UCBONLI ?
>
>If so, then I suppose you could consider doing the UCBSCAN once (at
>init)
and then use an ENF listener (codes 23/24/30) to update your table of units.
However, this might seem a little extreme just to avoid UCBSCAN...

>Rob Scott
>Rocket Software, Inc
>275 Grove Street
>Newton, MA 02466
>617-614-2305
>[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Of Paul Schuster
>Sent: 25 October 2007 17:25
>To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
>Subject: Re: EDTINFO DEVSTAT ?
>
>Let me further expand:
>
>I do a EDTINFO  RTNDEVN,UNITNAME=xxxx,DEVNLIST=DEVNLIST
>
>to (for example) get the list of device numbers associated with
UNIT=SYSALLDA.  All of these device numbers will have a UCB associated with
them, but many are 'dummy' UCB's that have no real volume associated with them.
(These are UCB's that have been genned for future DASD expansion.)

>Does doing a
>
>EDTINFO  CHKUNIT,UNITNAME=xxxx,DEVLIST=,DEVCOUNT=,DEVSTAT=
>
>provide me the status if a real UCB is at that device # address?
>
>What I'm trying to accomplish is to build a list of on-line UCB's.  I
>know
I can do a UCBLOOK on each of the device #'s returned with the EDTINFO RTNDEVN
macro and then check if the UCB is online, but I am looking for something
faster.

>Thank you.

>For IBM-MAIN subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send
>email
to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO Search the archives at
http://bama.ua.edu/archives/ibm-main.html