Bass, Walter W wrote:
I would like to enhance this program to avoid to necessity of passing
the symbolic values through the parms.  I am certain I can successfully
get the information I need by parsing the JESJCL.  What I have not been
able to find out so far is where the JESJCL data is?  Is this in an MVS
data area?  Is it in a dataset allocated to the job?

You don't say whether you're using JES2 or JES3. I've only worked with JES2, for which the processing is as follows: JCL is read by a reader (with an optional exit) and saved to the spool in the JESJCL pseudo data set. In-line data cards are extracted and written separately. The job is passed to the Converter/Interpreter, where JCL is read, passed to the IEFUJV exit, and processed into OS JobQueue format, passed through an optional text exit (not intended for user access), and written as another pseudo data set. When the job executes, one or more times, the JobQueue records are read and converted to system control blocks (JCT, ACT, SCTs, SIOTs, etc.) in virtual memory.

If you wish to change the JCL, you need to do so in the JES reader exit, or in IEFUJV. It is possible to read the JESJCL data set at a later time (for code look at the Q command at cbttape.org), but any changes you make will be ignored. The big gotcha is the annoying little detail that the reader and converter need not run on the system the job will execute on. To make the changes at execution time, you could use the IEFUJI (job initiation exit), and read and possibly alter the text records in JobQueue format.

If you look at the group archives, you'll find a slew of messages regarding the resolution of symbolic parameters, which seems to be what you're driving at. If you only have a single system, the easiest place to make substitutions would in IEFUJV or the JES reader exit, and forget about the JESJCL data set.

Gerhard Postpischil
Bradford, VT

new e-mail address: gerhardp (at) charter (dot) net