From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Hunkeler Peter (KIUK 3)
Sent: Wednesday, October 24, 2007 4:41 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: About dispatching process

>Never had the chance to use HMC (I guess the restart key must be
>there), do you mean after pressing it we will be prompted to select
>the action to take?

It used to be a physical button on a real console's keyboard. Since
consoles are mostly plain PCs with 3270 emulators nowadays, that
key is no longer available from the console. Its an HMC action.

Yes, once the restart interrupt is generated, you'll see a bunch of
messages at the master console (or is it the system console). Similar
appearance to the messages you see after "V XCF,...,OFFLINE" when
the system is in the wait state.

The restart messages tell you a bit about the job/task running on the
interrupted processor and then give you the choice of (relying on my
failing memory here):
- ABEND the interrupted task
- Giving control back to the interrupted task (is it RETRY?)
- Having the system scan and repair, if neccessary, its vital control
  blocks, then continue.

It doesn't use nor depend on CONSOLE communication. The restart
interrupt handler communicates directly with the operator via
disabled console communication. You need to alway reply with
R 00,

It's always worth a try before you decide to IPL a "dead" system.
Could save you an IPL and doesn't waste a lot of time if it doesn't
help.

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse