From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Tom Schmidt
Sent: Friday, October 26, 2007 2:52 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: IPL an LPAR with a very low weight?

On Fri, 26 Oct 2007 14:44:43 -0400, Dave Thorn wrote:

>If an LPAR (in a "down" state) were set to a very low weight (1, for
>instance) and then IPLed, would there be problems?
>
>This assumes that the other LPARs are not at high utilizations and
using
>all the CPU cycles themselves.
>
>Has anyone done this?  Have problems occurred?

Depends, of course.  For starters the weight is relative to the
aggregate for
the CEC - if that is only, say, 2 (with 2 LPARs weighted at 1 each) you
ought
not expect to have any problems at all.  Probably not your case though.

Is your LPAR sharing any resources with any others?  GRS or MIM come to
mind here... if you need to "run" those on your resource challenged LPAR
then
you are a troublemaker.

If your whimpy LPAR is a monplex, sharing nothing then no, it isn't a
problem
per se.  More of an opportunity to catch up on your reading while you
wait for
it to respond.

(We do it with a sandbox system and it is pretty pokey when the other
LPARs
are guzzling MIPS.  Still, it all works but at an HO-scale. Just not the
way to
run a real railroad.)

--
Tom Schmidt