Our sysprog sandplex has very low weight, like 5% of 1 processor or some such.
When the box is full (running 98-100%) not only does it take forever to shut
that lpar down, it also takes forever to IPL it. The duration in itself is not
the problem, but automation (SA/390 V3) has almost everything in stuck status
because things don't terminate in automations' (usually sufficient)
timeout-interval. At which point you do a manual shutdown! Coming back up
usually isn't as bad, as automation has everything in started2, but recognizes
when things are finally 'up'.

And don't get me started on XCF communication! We have a permanent vote to keep
the automation manager from starting on one system in the sysplex, simply
because that one has a lower weight than the others in the plex. Once the
automation manager is on that system, XCF communication regularly times out,
and then the shutdown is stuck. (This is not the sysprog sandplex!)

Regards, Barbara Nitz