On Oct 28, 2007, at 8:07 AM, (IBM Mainframe Discussion List) wrote:

In a message dated 10/25/2007 1:15:00 PM Central Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

What would you do with dishonest consultants?

The same thing you do with dishonest interns, trainees, employees, managers, CEOs, Chairmen of the Board, etc. And it depends on who "you" is. A "you" with sufficient authority must be found to take the needed action and who can take into consideration all the repercussions of his action, such as the effect on morale if he does or does not do what many think he should. Consultants do not have a monopoly on dishonesty or making mistakes. Nor do employees have
a monopoly on company loyalty.  One size still does not fit all.

Bill Fairchild
Franklin, TN

Bill,

Point taken. Since the company I worked for was non-confrontational the whole incident was more or less swept under the carpet. Except for the additional person that was hired to keep any future trespassing from happening nothing really happened. It was a strange company as employees were extremely loyal and honest. There was no money handling (that I ever heard of) (except for petty cash) that was done at the site so honesty was really never an issue. They were strict when it came to expense accounts as one time I got called up and about a dinner I had at GUIDE and I had to redo parts of the expense report. I just reshuffled the distribution around. They grumbled a little bit. But it wasn't like I was extravagant I think I marked down I had a 26 dollar dinner (I was allowed $20). (this was in the 70's) . The computer operations was the hot spot about firing people. The manager there was the "man". He ran his "ship" like a captain in the 1600's, he let his managers get away with murder but the peons (operators) were regularly whipped. Despite that the operators were extremely loyal and really did work.

The company (division) was pretty much run on a almost family type basis. The operations being the exception to the rule. I was not aware of the severe politics of the corporate headquarters until I was temporarily assigned there a few years later. I was asked to stay on but said no because of the politics. I am sure of this had occurred out of the corporate HQ that they would have been fired on the spot. We had a few political people that worked in the DC that made major mistakes that almost cost the company millions of dollars and they skated through without being fired (although in truth they were put in positions of less importance).

The point to this was that people that were not employed by the company (consultants) were held to a different level than employees, it was a much more restrictive level. Just by that level alone they should have been let go.

Ed