On 6 Nov 2007 22:43:39 -0800, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy
Sipples) wrote:

>Finally, there is the fact that software engineers -- or at least human
>factors engineers -- apparently never reviewed ASCII.  As we all know,
>EBCDIC puts the letters in the correct numerical order, collating uppercase
>and lowercase: AaBbCc....  ASCII doesn't.  It's ABCDEF...abcdef....  Thus
>decades of dumb ASCII software -- and there's a lot of dumb software in the
>world -- has frustrated users everywhere.

ASCII is worse this way - but there always will be problems with
sorting, because sorting words and names has never had a complete
definition that we all agree upon.

(iTunes recently decided to sort numeric song titles at the end
instead of at the beginning the way they were a couple of months ago).

How many Roman based alphabets have tildes and accents - that are part
of names that need to be sorted consistently?