On Tue, 6 Nov 2007 17:29:10 -0800, Edward Jaffe wrote:

>I would also add that -- with 21st century hindsight and certainly not a
>design mistake per se -- it sure would have been lucky if they had
>standardized on ASCII instead of EBCDIC!

I don't know how lucky it would have been, with the goofy USASCII-8
that was documented in the 360 POO.  For example, space was
defined as x'40', numbers as x'50' to x'59', upper case letters began
with x'A1' and lower case letters began with x'E1'.

Remember that ASCII was a very new standard when the 360 was
introduced.  EBCDIC wasn't a standard, but there were a lot of old
peripherals that used it.

--
Tom Marchant