On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 18:48:23 -0800, Edward Jaffe wrote:

>> I'm trying to port a REXX utility program from z/VM to z/OS. It will do I/O
>> (reading and writing regular QSAM files), but the wrinkle is that it cannot
>> run in the TSO batch environment (most of the jobs that will use it aren't
>> associated with a TSO userid).
>
>Not sure why this matters.

Will the TMP even run if no TSO segment is defined for the user?  (Reasoning
(perhaps improperly) by analogy with Unix System Services, which are not
available unless (at least a default) OMVS segment is available for the
user.)

>The TSO/E REXX environment is the most robust on the platform. There are
>alternatives:
>
> http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IKJ4A370/8.2
> http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IKJ4A370/8.3
>
>But, I suggest you avoid them if you can. This table explains why:
>
> http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/IKJ4A370/8.6

At a quick glance, all the above links sorely omit any mention of
the Unix Rexx environment.  That provides the ADDRESS SH subcommand
environment whereas none of the others do.  And Unix Rexx has its
own distinct flavor of the TSO subcommand enviroment, sometimes for
better; often for worse.

-- gil