On Nov 17, 2007, at 12:15 AM, Joel C. Ewing wrote:

I've always assumed there was slightly less overhead in running batch REXX without the TSO TMP, provided you didn't need any TSO commands or ISPF services - but I suspect this overhead is minimal. I believe you also avoid the need for several DDs, which in a bizarre case might make a difference.

We regularly run batch TSO (batch TMP), batch REXX, and batch ISPF from production batch jobs, which all run under userids with no TSO access (No TSO Segment and not in SYSUADS).

I can't conceive of any rational reason why a sysadmin or auditor would want to restrict batch TMP usage. It buys you no power or data access that could not be derived by other means, except perhaps for the somewhat dubious ability to execute CLISTs - but everything a CLIST can do can be better done by REXX.

Joel:

Interesting idea about not restricting TMP usage in batch. One reason (amongst others) is that debugging is hard (if not impossible) to do after an issue. Of course its one thing in a testing environment but in a production environment? I just can't see production support people supporting such an environment. Their job is difficult enough with JCL and typical abends but to throw in TMP (non abends usually) issue is just an environment that most support people would run away from and refuse to have any responsibility over. While it might be possible, I have seen most support people say "NO" to TMP issues (bugs whatever). Trying to get a scheduling package to handle issues in that environment would probably be almost impossible.

Ed