that has been posted to bit.listserv.ibm-main,alt.folklore.computers as well.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Timothy Sipples) writes:
> In fairness, the DS6000 is physically relatively small, although I wouldn't
> want to carry one by myself on my bicycle.  The spindles (individual
> drives) are even smaller, but you'd need a number of them to have a RAID
> set and the complete data.  Tough but not impossible.
>
> I think the IT marketplace is in for a shock when people figure out that
> losing the keys means losing the data.  It isn't like a bank vault where
> you can hire a locksmith to drill some holes over several days.  It's so
> critical to store and manage the encryption keys in a safe, secure,
> recoverable repository.

can you say "key escrow"? ... this was one of the themes from the "key
escrow" meetings from the mid-90s. however, there was lot of confusion
about what "key escrow" met, i.e.

1) gov. held all keys?
2) institutions holding keys for their own data encryption (as an
availability, business continuity and no-single-point-of-failure)?
3) all kinds of keys?, authentication as well as encryption

"1" got lots of bad press including all the swirl around clipper chip
and things like LEAF

"3" authentication keys aren't really an availability issue ... and
could violate some basic security principles regarding being able to
associate all activities uniquely with individuals.

with all the bad press ... various key escrow activities sort of just
evaporated

wiki reference:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Key_escrow

nist references
http://csrc.nist.gov/keyrecovery/

misc. past posts mentioning key escrow
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm9.htm#pkcs12 A PKI Question: PKCS11-> PKCS12
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm16.htm#11 Difference between TCPA-Hardware and
a smart card (was: example: secure computing kernel needed)
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm18.htm#12 dual-use digital signature
vulnerability
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/aadsm23.htm#6 PGP "master keys"
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001c.html#65 Key Recovery System/Product
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001h.html#7 PKI/Digital signature doesn't work
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001i.html#36 Net banking, is it safe???
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2001j.html#52 Are client certificates really secure?
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2002d.html#39 PKI Implementation
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2003j.html#53 public key confusion
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2004i.html#12 New Method for Authenticated Public
Key Exchange without Digital Certificates
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006d.html#39 transputers again was Re: The demise
of Commodore
http://www.garlic.com/~lynn/2006d.html#40 transputers again was Re: The demise
of Commodore