Adding to what Mark said, being a University, we do create a lot of TSO
ID's and therefore aliases.  We have a pretty simple ISPF / Rexx panel
that randomly assigns a user catalog (from a pool of 4 or 5) for a new
alias and then creates that alias in all master catalogs.  It's pretty
simple to just replicate the DEFINE ALIAS for additional catalogs if
they are added.  The same panels have a delete alias for cleanup also.