From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of (IBM Mainframe Discussion List)
Sent: Friday, December 28, 2007 12:25 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: It keeps getting uglier

This happened once with my buggy program.  I hosed CSA, the system  crashed,

and the operator reIPLed and warm started JES2 which immediately reran  my
job.  Boom - one more crash.  I knew immediately after the first  crash what
do to fix my bug, but I couldn't fix it until the system stopped
autocrashing
due to the JES2 initialization parameter to restart all jobs that  were
running upon warm start.  I managed to intervene before the third  crash.

Your scenario has more blameworthy actions than you described: (1) the
programmer whose program uses an interface that is not guaranteed to remain
constant; (2) the programmer's (probable) lack of  properly documenting his
program's dangerous nature; (3) management's allowing such a program to be
installed in production while the programmer was still  employed; (4)
management's not doing a thorough job of review and turnover of  that
programmer's programs when he left employment; and (5) setting a JES2
initialization parameter that guarantees an infinite loop of crashes as well
as  production speedup when no wayward program crashed the system (which is
usually  the case).  There is plenty of blame to be shared and lawyered
against, although I seriously doubt that management would let the lawyers go
after management.

Bill Fairchild
Franklin, TN

Doug Fuerst