http://www.isham-research.co.uk/ibm-vs-psi-amended.html amended again.

I also understand Sam Palmisano might be asked (!) to make a deposition to the
Court in the
next couple of weeks.  Although it looks like these cases take months longer
than they should,
it's actually a pretty frenetic process and a lot of people are really paying
attention.

I _really_ think that IBM's eighth (amended version of complaint) deserves
hugely wider
discussion.  If a software vendor is permitted to prevent execution of software
under
emulation via its license agreements, all future architecture transitions - on
all platforms -
may become very difficult.

As regards the soon-to-expire copies of Flex-ES - their users might have claims
of promissory
estoppel - only a lawyer could tell them, but a 'class action' style of
intervention in the
IBM/PSI case could be considered.  Maybe the ISVs should temporarily bury the
hatchet and
share T3's costs.

I'm sorry the following is in German, but it doesn't seem to be available
anywhere in English
at this level:

http://www.sva.de/files/RZ_SVA%20z%20Hosting_web.pdf

This is the first example I've seen of a hosting service designed specifically
for ISVs.
Other, that is, than IBM's - and some ISVs may have concerns about hosting
their development
on an IBM site.  SVA have a 2-CP z990 - the sketch in the PDF document is pretty
self-explanatory.  SVA is a _very_ well-respected company - I've known Felix
for years and you
won't find anyone with a bad word for him. The company is largely (entirely?)
staffed by
techies who understand real world problems.

"For customers with Flex-ES systems additional special incentives are offered."

I think SVA was the largest Flex-ES dealership in Germany by  a very large
margin.

zPDT has been rumoured for at least four years and possibly more.  Given the
access to IBM
intneral stuff the team should have had, this seems a long time.

The 'old' PCMs had machine-readable (think Backus Naur on steroids) definitions
of the
architecture.
Any new feature was simply encoded and the CAD system rerun to generate a new
chip design.
>From discussions I had, I believe Hitachi was quite some way ahead of everyone
>else.

What now seems to be emerging as zPDT seems to have started in Böblingen, at
one time a true
hotbed of Hercules use within IBM.  Böblingen was always interested because it
was the home of
VSE, which was highly dependent on small mainframes and thus neglected by PoK.
The Germans
took this almost as a national insult, given the size of the VSE installed base
in Germany.
Then - for a while, about three years ago - came the story that [zPDT] had been
outsourced to
India. And not even IBM India.

And then about a year and a half ago, a story of a grab by PoK.  That may have
happened as
part of the preparations for this daft lawsuit.

One [highly unsubstantiated and dubious] report suggests zPDT is not a JIT
emulator but more
of an interpreter.

To pick up on Warner's point (4) about IBM not wanting to produce a low-end
emulated-on-Intel
system - they did.  It was called the xSeries 430 Enabled For System/390 and it
bombed.

http://www.isham-research.co.uk/numaq.html

A fully enabled and licensed Flex-ES system can literally run anything ever
supported on an
IBM mainframe.  ECPS:VSE?  And there's other stuff - networking, printer
emulation, FakeTape,
etc.  Every time I ask these questions about zPDT, I just get embarrassed
smirks.

--
  Phil Payne
  http://www.isham-research.co.uk