Personally I do not understand what the rant is all about...

I have heard of several patents for non-petroleum vehicles that seemed
practical, viable, and all the other nice words, but have been blocked
by someone unknown. In fact even university students of the past have
developed new concepts that was just stalled. IMHO there are 2 main
reasons for that, the first is that every country in the world tops up
the petroleum prices with taxes that they cannot possibly afford to
loose. The second and most obvious is that less oil will be consumed. So
who is kicking up a stink about the disappeared concepts of the past?

IBM invests a lot of money in the development of the things that we seen
in the POPS, and in the operating system in general. One way to get it
back is to sell the oil(Software), the other is to sell the Motors that
uses it(Hardware), if someone is allowed to just run their software on a
machine that cannot be measured in the same way as a mainframe, how do
you charge for it? How do you license it, without spending millions more
on inventing the licensing structures for PC's that will not bring in
the same amount of revenue? I bet anyone out there that if IBM created a
look-like-windows, feel-like-windows, to run on the mainframe, that
Microsoft will be onto them for patents so quick...

In my opinion, the solution is this... For every machine that IBM sells
to a customer, they should include effectively 2 separate machines in
the same box. It would not cost that much more. The second must only be
used for sysprog/development, and a monthly scrt report needs to be sent
for that partition. This 'partition must be so separate, that it must
have its own 'red-button' with absolutely no connection to the
production one, and 2 internal model 27's, and a 3590 of its own. With
the kind of networks that we have, this will suffice the need of any
sysprog working inside that org to play to his heart's content.
Additionally, again, because our networks have progressed to what it is
today, IBM US, UK, NL, DUBAI, SA, INDIA, CHINA, must have one
development beast, on which you can register a LPAR of your own, almost
like registering a website, and pay a monthly fee, and play. Depending
on the package you pay for will determine whether you will get FDR /
HSM, RACF/ACF2, 3xmod3's of 5xmod27's, agreements can even exist that
software vendors like CA will supply those sites with Beta versions, if
the 'customer'(sysprog) wants for a slight reduction, almost like
whether you take a website with/without adds. And I think the pricing
should be relatively the same as 'web space'.

And no, I do not smoke, and my lips are still dry.

Regards

Herbie
Elavon Financial Services Limited
Registered in Ireland: Number 418442
Registered Office: Block E, 1st Floor, Cherrywood Business Park, Loughlinstown,
Co. Dublin, Ireland
Directors: Robert Abele (USA), John Collins,  Terrance Dolan (USA),  Pamela
Joseph (USA), Declan Lynch, John McNally, Malcolm Towlson
Elavon Financial Services Limited, trading as Elavon, is regulated by the
Financial Regulator