On Sat, 29 Dec 2007 10:48:30 -0600, Rick Fochtman wrote:

>-------------------------<snip>---------------
>
>>>IIRC, SYS1.NULLFILE was recognized by the system as a special case of
>>>DUMMY. But it filled in the DSNAME field of the JFCB.
>>
>>You are thinking of DSN=NULLFILE.  Now we also have PATH=/dev/null.
>>
>---------------------<unsnip>----------------------
>No, I was thinking specifically of SYS1.NULLFILE, a "qualified" dataset
>name.

Hmmm:

       12.22.2.9 "z/OS V1R7.0 MVS JCL Reference"

   NULLFILE
          Specifies a dummy data set. NULLFILE has the same effect as coding
the DD DUMMY
          parameter. NULLFILE must be coded as a single-word parameter. For
instance, IBM
          does not support the use of NULLFILE to obtain a dummy data set for
these (or
          other) formats:

          + When followed by a member name
          + As a qualifier in a qualified data set name
          + As a temporary data set name.

This appears to explicitly exclude what you're thinking specifically of.

-- gil