Patrick O'Keefe wrote:
> 2nd attempt to send a posting that went into the bit bucket.
>
> I assume there are some shops with policies that forbid transfers
> across the web between z/OS mainframes and external sites unless
> the data is encrypted.  How do such shops send data to/from MVS
> (and other vendors)?
>
> I know IBMs Boulder site (testcase ?) supports HTTPS transfers.  Do
> they also support FTPS or SFTP?  And what about IBM's emea site
> (which some parts of IBM greatly prefer over Boulder)?  Does it
> support any kind of encrypted transfers?
>
> If such transfers to/from MVS can be done I would like to suggest
> them to our management as a huge step up from our current policy
> that prohibits (i.e., blocks via firewalls) any access to the web by
> our mainframes, blocks all web-based outbound FTPs from any
> workstation on out intranet, and allows inbound transfers only
> for browser-based FTPs going through a proxy.  :-(
>
> I'd appreciate any information on how other shops cope with similar
> paranoic policies.  (But please don't bother pointing out the
> problems with the policies.  We know they don't provide any
> protection; they just make our lives difficult.  There is no logic here -
> just a "Corporate Security" department.)
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Pat O'Keefe

I opened up an ETR with IBM on this topic last year. Unfortunately I
don't remember the details, but IBM does have a FTPS service available
that the standard zOS TCPIP stack can communicate with once some setup
tasks are performed in your environment.

--
Mark Jacobs
Time Customer Service

Riley: Find the next number in the sequence: 313, 331, 367, ...? what?

The Doctor: 379. It's a sequence of happy primes, 379.

Martha: Happy what?

The Doctor: Just enter it!

Riley: Are you sure? We only get one chance.

The Doctor: Any number that reduces to one when you take the sum of
the square of its digits and continue iterating until it yields 1 is
a happy number, any number that doesn't, isn't. A happy prime is
both happy and prime.
----
Doctor Who episode "42"