If I was to a tape, is there a way to programmatically know when I am
nearing, or have hit, the end of the "guaranteed" tape length? I forget if
it's 3480 or 3490E tape that guarantees 1100 feet, but if I were writing to
a tape, is there a way to find out that I was still under this value?

Our tape duplication service does a tape-to-tape hardware copy, so we cannot
have multi-file tapes, so we cannot simply write to EOT and switch to the
next tape. We need a way to write EOT within the minimum tape length
specification.

In particular, I am questioning whether or not I will ever be able to find
out if I am still within my minimum specification when I am using IDRC
compression. Admittedly, I know very little about what the actual tape looks
like when I use compression. Maybe there is a better way to stay within the
minimum tape length than to find out how much tape I have written.

Any ideas? On either knowing tape length, or my root problem, knowing when
to stop writing compressed data to stay within the specification?

Thanks!

David Logan