I have a product that, due to how the original programmers have done file
I/O, makes it really difficult for me to easily control it in CICS. So, with
that, I have some questions:

I issue a lot of STARTBR commands, usually without any ENDBR commands. What
are the performance implications? My product has seven files or so, but can
issue hundreds of STARTBR commands over them. I don't mean performance
implications in terms of time. Does it lock up records? Consume memory?
Create chains of control blocks? In short, would there be any reason that
issuing hundreds of STARTBR commands would be bad?

Similarly, is there any actual reason to concern myself with ENDBR? All of
these files are read only, so there are no update locking issues. When the
transaction ends, afaik, all memory, locks, browses, etc. are released as
well. So what problems might I experience there?

I'm just not seeing any problem with the methodology being used to read
data, other than the obvious problem of having to issues zillions of reads
to the same block (or same set of blocks.) I don't see any reason it would
consume memory, cause deadlocks, cause CICS to hang or crash, or anything
like that.

Am I missing something? Would I need to provide more information?

Thanks!

David Logan