David,

For the older 3480/3490 with IDRC, it is much harder. With 3490/E, it is
much easier to determine by looking at the block-id. The logical block-ID
increases as the physical blocks of data are written out; and then decreases
as the second set of tracks are written coming back to the load-point (with
a bit on to indicate that it is on the "returning" set of tracks). As the
block-ID approaches zero with this bit on; you are getting closer and closer
to the load-point (physical-end-of-tape). Remember, you have one set of
tracks going out and one set of tracks coming back.

For 3590 and above it is even easier. There is another value that can be
obtained that contains a 1-byte x'yy' value. The "yy" is the fraction of the
tape that has been used with 256 as the factor. So, if this 1-byte value is
128; then the tape is 128/256 full, or one-half full. And this is the
PHYSICAL measure of how full the tape is. This value can be obtained from
the device as well, though it is not in the sense information (can't
remember if it is device characteristics or media characteristics); but it
is available as well.

In both cases, you must do "something" (read blockid, read device
characteristics) to get the information back. Counting blocks of data
written won't help at all with IDRC of course.

Russell Witt
CA Level-2 Support Manager