-------------------<snip>------------------
A belief that formal education, diplomas, etc equate with intelligence, competence, qualifications to perform an occupation is a widespread contemporary prejudice. It's got a similarity of a faith. Occasionally expressions of this "faith" come up on this list, unchallenged, and they irritate me.
Having a college degree does signify one good quality: that you finish what you start.

Other than that, my degree in Physics, with a math minor, haven't served me one single iota in this business. That "sheepskin" is just so much toilette paper. Now a degree in business administration or accounting might have been useful a good number of times. Provided I retained the knowledge they represented.