From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Paul Gilmartin
Sent: 29 Januarie 2008 01:50
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Keep only the tail of the dataset

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 18:51:47 -0000, Van Dalsen, Herbie wrote:

>Hang on, I must be missing something...
>
>This is my output from the tail command in OMVS in tso, which I am sure
can be used in BPXbatch. So If you mount your dataset in OMVS / USS as
/var/tailin OMVS.TAILIN and a second one as /var/tailout
OMVS.TAILOUT(empty) and issue the command tail /var/tailin >
/var/tailout, won't you get the best results ? No messing around with
other unix systems etc and code that someone needs to rewrite in 2
year's time?

You're the first person who has mentioned "other unix systems";
I believe the rest of us had assumed from the beginning z/OS
Unix System Services.  This still leaves unanswered my concerns
about binary data in RECFM=V(B) and John M.'s about short
generations.

-- gil

Elavon Financial Services Limited
Registered in Ireland: Number 418442
Registered Office: Block E, 1st Floor, Cherrywood Business Park, Loughlinstown,
Co. Dublin, Ireland
Directors: Robert Abele (USA), John Collins,  Terrance Dolan (USA),  Pamela
Joseph (USA), Declan Lynch, John McNally, Malcolm Towlson
Elavon Financial Services Limited, trading as Elavon, is regulated by the
Financial Regulator