Although the relationship is not linear, there is also the issue of
complexity to be dealt with.

At one shop I worked, (10 sysplexs, 44 LPARs, 20+ CECs), the CICS person
was
Actually 5 people). The z/OS sysprog was 8 and the Oracle(DB2/IMS)
person was 6.

In my current environment, all of the below is 4.

HTH,

<snip>
CICS is generally one person.
Oracle is generally one person as well.
z/VM and Linux - one or two primary people, depending on the number of
VMs and Linux instances. The z/OS sysprogs are capable of pulling double
duty here, but that may be cutting it to close.

You do not mention performance and capacity, storage management or web
services. Shift coverage, sick time, vacations, etc. are other
considerations.

With a variety of skill levels, the number should probably be between
15-20 people if you include the skills and issues that I mentioned.

With highly experienced systems programmers in all of the above
disciplines, 10-15. Less than 10 would affect your shop's ability to
meet schedules *or* would probably lead to burnout.
</snip>