One other factor to consider is the level of expertise that your DBA and
Developer community are.  It  depends on what role your systems programming
staff plays in supporting the general IT community at the company.  I know
of places where two to many sysprogs are fully employed just in supporting
other IT employees.  That isn't all bad either, but like Ed previously
said, "it depends".  I would recommend very early in the planning to
establish internal support relationships and service levels.  You may even
factor them into some sort of internal charge so that the heavy
users/abusers :) pay for the extra staff.  Often times this can be well
worth the work too.  It's very often that a well rounded systems programmer
can quickly bring a problem to resolution simply because they speak more
than one "tech language".  This is becoming more and more often as off host
developers are accessing big iron.

             Ed Gould
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             AST.NET>                                                   To
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             .EDU>                     Re: z/OS system programmer staffing

             02/11/2008 03:37
             PM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .EDU>

On Feb 11, 2008, at 11:25 AM, Yukus, Mary J CIV USMEPCOM wrote:

> Can anyone point me in the direction of where to find a good (but
> minimum)
> estimate for staffing systems programmers (with various experience
> levels)
> to perform all functions of a systems programmer, including
> installations of
> OS and vendor software, applying maintenance, troubleshooting errors,
> maintaining RACF, JES2, TCP/IP,CICS, Oracle, WLM, etc. on two z/OS
> - z/OS.e,
> two system sysplexes (not parallel) production system and test
> system, along
> with a z/VM OS/IFL used for LINUX instances.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help on coming up with this staffing number.
> Mary Yukus
>
> ----

Mary:

You have gotten several good answers. Let me through this item into
the mix and you will still not have a good answer but will need to
think more about any number.

As always it "DEPENDS". If the installation has a fair amount of mods
to the OS then increase the number of sysprogs. How many well it
depends on the complexity of the mods and other things. A lot of
installations modify JES2 (or JES3) the amount of mods could add one
or two people to the MVS support side. If its a one or two line mod
then probably a small number. I am guessing here but a lot of
installations heavily (moderately?) modify JES3 then probably add 1
or 2 people. This an extremely rough estimate and the complexity of
the mods means a lot as to any number you come up with.

There are probably a lot few companies that modify MVS, but again it
depends on the number and the complexity. It is probably safe to say
that the number of companies making mods to MVS are small in number.
If you count exits here don't count them as mods but say a .5 of a
person.

CICS (and IMS) same thing. I knew a place that *HEAVILY* modified
CICS and they still can't run above the line. Like someone else said
the number of CICS regions sort of dictates the number of CICS
sysprogs. There are some installations that are just really complex
and those need more others are not quite a complex.

One place to look is to figure out how much OT the people are putting
in. There are pitfalls in using this but its one place to start,
don't use this as a final indication just factor it in.

Ed