-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Pat Mihalec
Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2008 9:44 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: Question on Out Sourcing

I know this but I needed it from someone else to show the current
director. He has not mainframe experience, his background is Windows. He
thinks that if you move to the outsourcer system you no longer pay the
fees. It comes as a shock to him.
I suggested he ask the outsourcer directly about this.
<SNIP>

To quote a friend of mine and former co-worker, "a nickle's worth of
free advice":

Since your director has no experience with large data centers [that is
what the statement "He has not mainframe experience, his background is
Windows." means, isn't it?], make sure that your contract requires the
outsourcing company to cover the costs of your moving back to the
facility where you came from should they breach the contract, or not be
able to fulfill the contract satisfactorily.

This suggestion was followed by a certain ISV some years ago when a
certain outsourcer promised them all kinds of things (such as APF
libraries they would need for continued development, a test environment
to validate their changes, etc.). The outsourcer failed to deliver, and
had to cover their costs to move back to the environment where they had
been.

While this may seem a bit trivial, to move back to where you came from,
if you are into this outsourcing agreement by 90 days, and you have
gotten rid of equipment... Or your current environment is also an
outsourcer and there is a penalty to be paid to get back into your old
contract...

Make sure you read the fine print and make sure you know what
constitutes a breach, what can be done to fix or heal the breach, and
what your costs can be for such things. The devil is in the details and
while the sales people can make it sound all kinds of great, that phrase
"this is our standard contract" or "this is a standard phrase/clause" is
generally a RED FLAG if you were prompted to ask a question about it.

Again, a nickle's worth of free advice.

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- All opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily
reflect those of my employer. --