Several years ago I was the data center for a very large Texas-based
regional hospital (over 1K in beds) running on a 9672 (at the time).
Our "holding company" owned another dozen or so small (50-75 bed)
hospitals running on a client-server solution.  The software running in
the smaller hospitals was not Y2K compliant and time was running out so
they contracted with Perot Systems to get it finished.

An overly aggressive sales team got their foot in the door and promised
a $100M in cost savings over the 10-year contract.  Of course the
executives jumped on the agreement and we all ended up being outsourced.

The first year (and only year - I left afterward) after outsourcing the
operational cost of the data center (not including software) doubled!
In fact there has been ZERO cost savings as a result of the outsourcing
if anything costs have been ~ 50% higher.

I am sure that in certain circumstances economies of scale will prevail
and cost saving can be realized.  But, as was our case, when you have a
streamlined operation with a limited, hardworking staff that's not
always the case.

Gary