On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 10:05:06 -0500, Mark Pace <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>Is there an easy way to tell if a DASD volume is SMS managed or not?
>
>--
>Mark Pace
>Mainline Information Systems

>send email to [EMAIL PROTECTED] with the message: GET IBM-MAIN INFO

Mark, if you are looking to run something in batch, I use DCOLLECT to
generate a list of all volumes:

//DCOLLECT EXEC  PGM=IDCAMS
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*
//OUTDS    DD DSN=TEMP.VOLLIST,
//         UNIT=DISK,
//         DSORG=PS,
//         RECFM=VB,LRECL=932,
//         SPACE=(1,(50000,25000),RLSE),AVGREC=K,
//         DISP=(NEW,CATLG,DELETE)
//BCDS     DD DSN=HSM.BCDS,DISP=SHR
//MCDS     DD DSN=HSM.MCDS,DISP=SHR
//SYSIN    DD  *
   DCOLLECT -
       OFILE(OUTDS) -
       ERRORLIMIT(1)  -
       NODATAINFO     -
       VOLUMES(*)

I then use a SAS routine (you can use whatever you prefer) to convert the
DCVFLAG1 bitstring (Offset 30 length=1) to hex and test for the following
designations:
CC = STORAGE
D4 = PUBLIC
E4 = PRIVATE
E7 = SMS MANAGED
So far this has worked for me and hopefully my thought process is correct
cause I have been using this to create a SAS report of the status of our shark
allocations.

Regards,
Gil.