Did I miss this part of the thread?

Why not just use IDCAMS DELETE...

delete 'prefix.hsm.test' purge
IDC0896I MIGRATED ENTRY prefix.HSM.TEST DELETED

If it's not migrated it simply gets deleted. If it is migrated it gets deleted without a recall.

DanD

Staller, Allan wrote:
<snip>
1)  Does IDCAMS keyword NOSCRATCH make HSM bring in a dataset before
deleting it just like NONVSAM does?  I may have observed that
behavour...job
had NONVSAM NOSCRATCH and HSM brought it in first, after I removed the
NONVSAM and I think it still came in (didn't confirm conclusively)
until I
removed the NOSCRATCH.  BTW this was on a user-specific brodcast
dataset.
</snip>

No. Delete NSCR only references the catalog entry, not the dataset. I
have used this quirk in a few recovery situations.