Hello,

I'm going to a meeting next week where I will advocate moving our MF
behind the firewall, which means changing its IP address.

The advance discussion has turned up an argument that this could (would)
break a lot of stuff.   I suspect that argument is based on FUDSI.  But,
I'm not the one in the systems group either.  Here's what I do know:

--The MF is not an FTP server.  We cannot ftp to the MF.  We have never
been able to.  So, there's nothing in this area to break.  (We can
initiate FTP's in jobs on the MF.)

--We aren't running SMTP on the MF, much to my chagrin.

--Our 3270 terminal emulators (of which I have personally set up scores
for various people over the years) all reference the MF by (one of) its
domain names, never the IP.  I think this is true for the hundreds that
are out there accessing our on-line CICS applications & TSO/ISPF.

--Our MF environment is a single machine with 2 LPARS (plus a test LPAR)
in a "ring" mode with GRS (whatever that means.)

Question for the list:   What should we be checking or looking for
relative moving our MF behind a firewall and changing its IP address?

Thanks!

Stg