I dug into the doc once again for more info on Mark's reference to
'striping'. I find this comment in Diagnosis: Tools and Service Aids:

"Extended format data sets are supported by z/OS V1R6 and later releases.
Extended format sequential data sets can hold 16,777,215 blocks. If you use
a maximum block size, 29120 bytes, approximately 488 GB can fit. You cannot
use striping or compression options for extended format sequential data
sets. You must use the guaranteed free space option to require DFSMS to
reserve space at the time that the data set is created."

On the other hand:

"Large format data sets are supported by z/OS V1R7 and later releases.
Large format (DSNTYPE=LARGE) data sets can span 16,777,215 tracks. If you
use a maximum block size, 29120 bytes, approximately 768 GB can fit. "

I have two Mod-9 volumes with SYS1.SADMP spanning both as DSNTYPE=LARGE for
a total of 20,032 cylinders. I use the AMDSADDD REXX utility to enable SAD
to write data to both volumes in a way I understood as 'logical striping'
(my term).

Is there a better option?

             Mark Zelden
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
             CHNA.COM>                                                  To
             Sent by: IBM              IBM-MAIN@bama.ua.edu
             Mainframe                                                  cc
             Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]                                     Subject
             .edu>                     Re: Stand alone Dump with ICC cards

             03/21/2008 05:47
             AM

             Please respond to
               IBM Mainframe
              Discussion List
             <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                   .edu>

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 13:41:26 -0700, Skip Robinson
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

<snip>

The SADUMP performance with striping is amazing!

Mark
--
Mark Zelden