I need remedial training in MVS disagnostic techniques.  :-(

I seem to have combined the concepts of QUIESCE yes/no and
SYNCH / ASYNCH.  I sort of understand that QUIESCE=YES protects
common storage during dump capture by limiting the dispatching
of other address spaces (and probably have the details horribly
wrong).   What does SYNCSVCD do?  Something similar with multiple
taks within a single address space?

I know QUIESCE=YES has caused us all kinds of performance
problems in the past so we gone to NO everywhere we could find
the option.  However, we still are getting synchronous SVC dumps
taken.  I'm not sure we even have the option of setting that except
for SLIP dumps.  Is that a problem?

Sorry if this is a bonehead question.
If it rates an RTFM, please point me to the FM.

Thank you.

Pat O'Keefe