Bob Rutledge wrote:
Patrick O'Keefe wrote:
Just from the concept of "synchronous" I assume something is suspended in SYNCSVCD processing. And I assume that something
is not as extensive as with QUIESCE=YES.   My gut feeling is "all
processing in the dumped address space" is suspended (which could be good for diagnosis but bad for processing) but that's a guess.

Under SLIP ACTION=SYNCSVCD, it says:

"SLIP will stop the unit of work before starting the dump to ensure that the restart occurs after the dump has completed."

And from this side of the Blue Divide, that's as good as it gets.

I should have added that, since SYNCSVCD is used (only) with PER traps, it can be more than "good for diagnosis". You really want the work that altered that storage or fetched that unexpected instruction to sit still while it's having its picture taken.

Bob