On Fri, 2008-04-04 at 14:56 +0900, Timothy Sipples wrote:
> Re: Faxing, I think I'd echo what everyone else says about e-mailing.

I'll not dispute the desirability of email over fax, but remember: you
have to give the customer what s/he wants.

We have vegetable brokers who come into the office at 5:30 in the
morning, and who expect to see a price list and truck manifests in the
hopper, which they snatch up on the way to the coffee pot.  We've
offered email, but they don't want it.

We have small farmers, at the dirt end of nowhere, in sometimes
un-air-conditioned offices.  Connectivity is limited to a couple of
1FBs, and to them... fax machines are a new technology.  They want to
receive orders via fax, and we accommodate them.

> For the occasional fax you can purchase e-mail-to-faxing service

And don't forget: you email something and it's like shooting an arrow
into the fog.  No guaranteed delivery, no notification of success or
failure (unless you do something like AS2).  With fax, you have a
reasonable idea whether the document was received.

Any serious email-to-fax service has to be able to provide you with the
final disposition of your document.  Really, that's a big deal.

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.