Hi All,

I've been thinking this over for a while and have coded it up several ways
(they all seem to be about the same amount of CPU time in the small tests)
and I'm still wondering about the overhead of the various processes.  I have a
feature that allows the user to enter options that I will perform for various
JOBNAME/TASKNAMEs, and I would like to be able to provide the ability to use
generic name processing for the JOB/TASK names like:

ABC%%%G and ABC*, etc.

I sort the names internally, then process them sequentially, (I use logic to
limit the processing pretty well), but I keep thinking that there must be a
better/more efficient way to do this.  I control the sort (I wrote my own), and
that's another thing, I keep flip/flopping on whether or not the % and * should
be first or last in the search sequence, there seem to be advantages both
ways.  I want to be sure that I always use the more specific name first, but I
don't want to do too much processing either.  I figured that I would allow for
no more than 1,000 entries, (any more than that and they better be thinking
of using more generics anyway:), but I can see that at some point I might
want to expand it to more entries), so even if I ended up doing it
inefficiently,
I don't think that the overhead would be noticed, but it still bothers me.

So to end my agony of this, (and I'm probably thinking about it too much), I
wanted to ask if anyone had any suggestions on what they thought might be
the best approach.

Any comments would be appreciated,

Thanks,

Brian