>Remember, z/OS emulates UNIX -- a CAT/READ/de-allocate is still
>just as expensive.
>
>It may quack like a duck; walk like a duck; it is an emulated duck.

There is no such thing as allocation and deallocation in UNIX,
incluiding z/OS UNIX. The z/OS UNIX kernel, more specifically, the
physical file system code allocates and opens file system data sets
at mount time. Thereafter it fullfills all the I/O requests from
UNIX processes. I don't see an emulation here.

I/O is expensive, no matter what kind of "file system" lies behind
it. I haven't done any research on this but I bet in terms of resource
usage doing a "UNIX" read is not to much different to doing an
"MVS" read.

--
Peter Hunkeler
Credit Suisse