From: willie bunter [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Fri 4/11/2008 9:31 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Question On Space Allocation

Good Day To All,

  My question is regarding the allocation of space on a given storage group
which has 218 volumes. The job failed, due to a "IGD17279I 218 VOLUMES WERE
REJECTED BECAUSE THEY DID NOT HAVE SUFFICIENT SPACE (041A041D)"

  To resolve the problem I added 2 disks (3390-9) as a quick fix.  I asked the
user to correct the jcl so as to ask for a smaller primary and a larger
secondary.  He refuses to do so because in his opinion "the system will search
for a volume that has that much free space in four "chunks" or less. If you ask
for less space in the PRIMARY allocation, the system may choose a volume that
has that much free space, but not enough to overflow into the SECONDARY
allocation, if needed."  I was not aware of the fact that the system allocates
the space in chunks.  Could anybody confirm this?  Also, in the case of the
allocation being done in 4 chunks, does the system allocate the dsn on the same
volume or on other voumes within that particular storage group?

  In the case of not heeding my recommendation to reduce the primary allocation
would there be another alternative that I could suggest besides putting the dsn
to tape?

  Below is the user's code for the output dsn:

  //OUTERR   DD DSN=DE01.DE0PS$02.XDS1.EXPAND.ERR(+1),
              DISP=(,CATLG,DELETE),
              SPACE=(CYL,(2000,250),RLSE),
              DCB=(MODELDCB,RECFM=FB,LRECL=14126)

  Thanks for your comments and suggestions in advance.